I’m the type of person who’s going to spend $300 on Final Cut ProX because I fancy myself a videographer, YouTuber, and general maker of awesome videos. I haven’t made a video in five years.
I’m the type of person who’s going to browse hundreds of websites looking for the best keyboard for my iPad so that I can write when I’m traveling without having to take a laptop with me. I haven’t posted in my blog for more than a week. Before that post it was a month.
I’m the type of person who would buy a $1000 piece of musical equipment so that I can start making #SickBeats for my podcast and videos. I haven’t made music in three years.
I’ll spend money so that I can get closer to my goals, but I’m not putting in any of the work that’s actually required to get those projects off the ground.
So, knowing this and knowing myself, I’m making a list of all the things that I want to buy and a list of goals and accomplishments that I must achieve before I let myself buy all these things.
Final Cut Pro X
- Make and publish 50 videos or
- Get to 1000 subscribers on any YouTube channel or
- Get to 3000 subscribers total across multiple channels or
- Win a copy or
- Get it as a gift or
- Switch to a freelance job that requires better editing tools.
Ableton Push 2
- Record an entire album using live instruments.
- Learn 50 songs to 100% in Rocksmith or
- Record an entire album using live instruments + another album using Ableton Push 2 or
- Record an entire album using live instruments + skip buying a Push 2.
- Get as a gift or
- Complete Final Cut ProX goal + sell my current gear or
- Shift to a freelance job that requires better gear.
I’ll be adding to this list as I come up with more and more crazy ideas for stupid purchases (or stupid ideas for crazy purchases).